Hey kids, before you come fishing with Captain Nick and Chasin’ Tail Charters, there’s a few things I thought you’d want to know.
You’re coming to Ketchikan!
Where is Ketchikan? It’s in the great state of Alaska and the easiest way to know where Ketchikan is in Alaska is to use your hand. On the hand map (see left), Ketchikan is right around the thumb nail!
And Fishing for Salmon!
You’ll be fishing for salmon and there are 5 types of salmon. Each one has two different names:
- King (chinook)
- Sockeye (red)
- Coho (silver)
- Pink (humpback)
- Chum (dog)
It can be hard to remember all the types of salmon and their names, so I’m going to teach you an easy way to remember them. Now we’ll use the fingers on your hand (see right):
- Thumb rhymes with Chum
- You can sock someone’s eye out with your pointer finger, so that’s your Sockeye
- Your middle finger is the largest finger, so that’s our King
- You would put a silver ring on your ring finger, so that’s your Silver
- And then the easy one, your pinky is Pink!
JUST HOW BIG IS ALASKA?
Here are some factoids to help wrap your head around it…
1. #Alaska is about 1/3 the size of the U.S. and is as wide as the contiguous 48 states. It is larger than Texas, California and Montana combined.
2. Alaska has more coastline than the rest of the U.S.
3. Flying from Juneau to Barrow, AK is the same as flying Orlando, FL to New York, NY.
4. It takes at least 24 hours to drive from Homer, AK north to Deadhorse, AK on the north slope. You’d already be in Tijuana, MX checked into a hotel and on a beach coming from Blaine,WA via Interstate 5 having passed through 3 states and traveled 300 miles more, in the same amount of time.
Want to know what it’s like?
Here are some pictures of kids just like you out on Chasin’ Tail with Captain Nick!
I can’t wait to have you join me out on the boat this summer! Let’s catch a bunch of fish!